The Philippine Airlines issued a statement Monday banning the charging and use of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices in all of its flights citing safety issues.
While possession of the device model is allowed inside airline cabins, they must be switched off at all times, the airline said.
Cebu Pacific earlier prohibited the use of the same smartphone unit due to similar safety concerns.
The units, subject to a global recall by the Samsung, are likewise not allowed inside checked in luggage and will not be accepted as PAL cargo shipment, the carrier added.
The Korean smartphone giant’s shares fell to their lowest level in nearly two months on Monday after the tech giant told customers to switch off and return their new Galaxy Note 7 smartphones due to fire-prone batteries.
Other carriers issued similar warnings to passengers.
Qantas, its budget unit Jetstar and Virgin Australia said they had not been directed to ban the use of the phone by aviation authorities, but did so as a precaution following Samsung’s recall of the phones in 10 markets.
The recall follows reports of the smartphone igniting while charging. A 6-year old boy in New York was burned when the Galaxy Note 7 he was holding exploded in his hand. In another incident, a Jeep burned down after a Galaxy Note 7 has spontaneously exploded inside the vehicle.
Samsung, the world’s biggest smartphone vendor, has sold 2.5 million of the premium devices so far.