Here are some useful guides for those interested in climbing Mount Kinabalu.
- Kota Kinabalu to National Parks (1 ½ to 2 hours drive)
- Arrive Registration Sabah Parks at 9.00am to 10.00am (10-20 mins registration time)
- Mt Kinabalu 2D/1N trekking starts from 10.00am to 11.30am. (depending on early registration)
- All Climbers MUST be accompanied by certified Mountain Guide.
- All Climbers are NOT ALLOWED to proceed without Mountain Guide.
- Mountain Guide has the FINAL SAY at all situation during trekking Mount Kinabalu or STOP Climbers. Exp: Misbehavior and health condition (not suitable for those with asthma condition)
- ALWAYS stay in a group.
- Never get reckless or try to show-off
- Stay where you are if you are lost
- If unavoidable, be extra careful with your steps during the wet spell
- No red meat or heavy meal before climbing
- Noodles and eggs are recommended before the more challenging second ascent from Laban Rata
- Never sit or lay down on high altitude (just stand still)
- Cover your nose (and mouth) with a scarf in windy condition on high ground
- Make extra sure your feet and hands are warm and dry during the final ascent
- When descending, try to walk sideway if you are feeling the pinch
- Do not bring valuable item
- Fit Climber trekking duration (3 to 3 ½ hrs) from Timpohon Gate to Mountain Hut (Laban Rata)
- Not Fit Climber trekking duration (5 to 6 hrs) from Timpohon Gate to Mountain Hut (Laban Rata)
- Fit Climber trekking duration (3 ½ to 4 hrs) from Mesilau Trail to Mountain Hut (Laban Rata)
- Not Fit Climber trekking duration (4 hrs to 7 hrs) from Mesilau Trail to Mountain Hut (Laban Rata)
- Bring extra Ringgit Cash (No Credit Card available at Laban Rata)
- Rental warm jacket available at Laban Rata (RM10 – RM20.00 per Jacket)
- Bring extra warm clothing’s, socks, gloves, cap, headlamp, walking stick, small backpack with light weight, small bottle drinking water (sufficient water but not too much/heavy) and camera.
- There may be Water and Power rationing during peak seasons.
- Laban Rata Restaurant OPEN 7.00am and CLOSE at 7.30pm (No Food available after 7.30pm)
- Laban Rata Restaurant staff will clear up Tables, Chairs, Utensils and Drinking Water Pot at 7.45pm – 8.00pm
- Not available for Hot Drinking Water Pot at 7.45pm – 8.00pm
- Convenient Counter Closed at 7.30pm (Selling Beer, Soft Drink, Chocolate Bar…etc)
- Laban Rata (Heated Rooms)
- Gunting Lagandan Hut (Non Heated Rooms) 100 meters away from Laban Rata
- Blanket, Bed, Bed Sheet, Extra Bed and Pillow provided.
- Wake up at 1.00am and 1.30am to 2.00am to start climbing from SAYAT SAYAT GATE to proceed the summit.
- Descend from summit to Laban Rata for Breakfast.
- Depart from Laban Rata from 8.30am and LATEST departure 10.00am (Estimate 3hrs to descend back to Timpohon Gate).
- Expect to arrive Timpohon Gate LATEST 2.00pm.
Source: Borneo Tours